Sunday, July 5, 2026

THE UGLY DUCKLING

By Yasen Vedrin
(Fireflies in the Palm)

Tonight I invite you to visit my space.
I’m pouring some wine. The candle flames light.
For things that are simple, with mystical grace –
I warm frozen dreams in the dark of the night.

I know that the doorway will not creak or slide,
Nor will any doorbell startle me blue.
You’ll come, but somehow from heaven outside –
Like a fairy from palaces, shining and true.

Like a sharp, painful ache of my madness inside,
Like a soft, gentle whisper of my crying tone,
Like a moment of hard-suffered wonder and guide,
That you fall in love with the look left alone.

You will come, and I will be tender and clear –
Revealing each thought and emotion within.
That beautiful swan, snowy-white and so dear,
Who once an ugly duckling had been.

That ultimate meaning that all things so bright
Require their time for a blooming address...
I drink of this wine, bitter-sweet in the night.
I wait for you, frozen in icy distress!

You do not come, even from heavens above!
No fairy from palaces shines through the shade!
And the cold glass of windows, forgotten by love,
Grows foggy from snow-powder falling displayed.

Tonight I invite you to visit my space...
An empty, cold glass. The candle burns low.
An ugly duckling with questions to face,
And an unfulfilled wonder in night’s heavy glow…

No comments:

Post a Comment